Friday, May 30, 2008

Funny Unix Symbolic Link to Windows Server issue

I faced this while doing deployment of one system to a unix server.

There is a folder/directory which is the symbolic link to a folder hosts at a windows NT server.

It is meant for clustering. The idea is 2 servers put the files/documents at the same folder at one location.

So, everytime i build my source code and deploy the war file at the unix server, i will run a program which runs the data migration. During the process the program will make use of the "open office service" that resides behind the operating system to create document such as Word and put at that particular folder as mentioned above.

Nightmare came. System kept throwing errors. The error message said it has something to do with "wrong code blar..".

I thought it was due to my code. Then I spent days to investigate the problem and to examine my code. It was a wrong move, a waste of time because in the end i found out that it is actually the program failed to create new directory! Ok reason found. The funny thing is, i tried to create the directory using unix shell command manually but failed! I did a list files command and found out that there is no such folder! But why did Unix say the folder is there? Ain't it funny!

Later i discovered that the folder is actually hidden. However i still did not manage to remove the folder by using the "rm -f ." command. From the net i know that this command works all the time to remove hidden directory. Clearly it did not work out in my case. So how now?

Finally i recreated the directory that the Unix claimed exist at the Windows Server, which is the "parent" cluster machine that holds the folder. After that i removed the folder again from the Shell at the Unix server. Yahoo! This time everything is back to normal! My program ran successfully!

What a waste of time. Was in the wrong direction. The Open Office Service should throw a more "exact" or "meaningul" message.

Nevertheless, I still do not know WHY and HOW did this problem happen! I only know the solution so far!

No comments:

Post a Comment